Friday, January 28, 2011

January, Jizmejian Style


Rafferty is such a good eater! Apparently, I am not such a good feeder . . . missed his mouth once or twice?
Here I am with "Baby Dos" at 27 weeks.
My favorite and I with rich European drinking chocolate in downtown Philly.
The view from our kitchen window after a huge January storm.
Rafferty found his feet this month! Now just to let go . . .


January has come and gone. And true to its nature, it brought its share of snow and sickness. But God brought us through a couple killer rounds of colds and several weeks of snowfall. We started our month in Iowa, where we spent some much needed time with my family and friends. (The trip out west taught us that traveling with a baby takes a lot of work . . .do vacations exist when you have babies?) We enjoyed a quiet month, for the most part, as the dorm in which we live was a ghost-town for Christmas break.

As I wrote previously, I've resolved to turn off the t.v. during the daytime hours. Although this has not been an easy habit to develop, I am very encouraged by January's results. I have been able to reach my reading goal. Our home is in better order, ushering in an atmosphere of peace and calm. I've even managed to keep our bedroom tidy (a monumental accomplishment for me).

We have been attending a church throughout December and January, and are loving both the services and the body of believers. This is a great blessing as I was growing weary after months of visiting different churches.

Pregnancy continues to be a joy and I am thankful for each kick and nudge. I am already gearing up for the third trimester! Wow! Rafferty is a little sponge, taking in everything around him and babbling every waking second. His first tooth just broke through, much to his (and our) relief.

Goodbye, January! Thanks for the strong start to 2011!

January reads:

Marriage to a Difficult Man
by Elizabeth Dodds
A wonderful biography about Jonathan and Sarah Edwards. I enjoyed learning more about early America, as well as Jonathan Edwards himself. Sarah Edwards was such an amazing woman, wife, mother, and disciple. Her outstanding character shaped the character of each of her 11 children, who in turn helped shape our nation.

Heaven
by Randy Alcorn
This book directed my thoughts and heart toward the reality of Heaven. Alcorn has amazing insight (all from scripture) as to what Heaven will be like. He paints beautiful pictures that brought me to tears with anticipation.

The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, and Mocking Jay
by Suzanne Collins
My mother-in-law introduced me to this action-packed fictional series. I found each book to be a page-turner and I devoured them within a few short days (needless to say those were not the days I was most productive . . .). I don't want to give away any of the plot, you will have to read them for yourself!

5 comments:

  1. Dang you can write little sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ru, I am loving your blog! You are an amazing homemaker! Can't wait to see what the rest of the year brings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a month, I love it :)
    (But I secretly can't wait for March, Maria AND Jizmejian Style!)

    I want to read those books too, yay! And you look amazing Ruthann!! You and Baby Dos are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so proud of you and your resolve to turn the TV off during the daytime and your willingness to learn from the discipline. When Kaylee was a senior we turned off the TV for a month and I taped a piece of paper on the TV with Phil. 4:8 on it. Too bad I didn't keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved reading this Ruthann! It's a blessing to have you here at PBU. You are such a wonderful model of a godly woman, loving wife, and unconditional mother! Thanks for all you do and looking forward to more blog posts!

    ReplyDelete