Thursday, January 20, 2011

Baking Bread and Other Failures

I had the wonderful idea of baking fresh bread to go along side our soup for dinner. I found a recipe titled "Easy French Bread". Perfect!, I thought. It says "easy" in the recipe's name, so I should be able to whip out a nice, hot loaf without a problem. I carefully followed the directions. My final result: something sortakinda resembling a loaf of bread . . . but definitely not bread.

And I must admit . . . this is not my first attempt and failure at the bread baking business.
(Apparently I may be "killing the yeast"? Who knows . . .)

Nothing is worse than feeling like a failure. I try something that is designed to be "easy" and fail miserably. All throughout adolescence leading into adulthood, I have found myself desiring perfection. I should be able to reach success without complication or struggle. Struggling can feel embarrassing and shameful.

I am quick to compare myself to others, wishing I had their gifts and abilities. I too often overlook the specific and wonderful ways the Lord has gifted me. Sadly, this focus on self-perfection leads me away from a thankful and content heart. Be it in baking or other goals, failing is not fun. However, I know a change of attitude will transform how I fail. Stop whining, figure out why I failed, have a sense of humor, give thanks for the opportunity to learn, and prepare to try again.

Missionary Lilias Trotter said, "Take the very hardest struggle in your life, either inward or outward, and expect God to triumph victoriously in that very spot. Just then can he bring your soul into blossom."

My fear of failing and my drive for perfectionism does not please God. If I can daily surrender these struggles, He will faithfully grow me and renew my soul. How cool is that!


1 comment:

  1. Hey Ruthann, Great post and I too focus too much on where I fall short and not on what gifts God has given me. On a side note, here's a bread recipe that I promise you can't mess up. I mean I MADE IT. Yeah, that's how easy it is. And it comes out looking like you just bought it for $5 at the local bakery. Check it out:

    Article: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/08mini.html

    Recipe: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html

    ReplyDelete