Tuesday, January 15, 2013

To be a Morning Person

We have recently set up a lamp in our kid's room with an automatic timer.  Now, every morning, a blue light alerts my overly eager son when he can get out of bed.  It is set at 6:45, and as early as that it, Rafferty prefers 5:00 a.m.

We are still training him to abide to the new wake-up rule (he starts out of bed at 5:00 declaring "I'm awake! To which we reply, "No you're not!") and we are also beginning our own wake-up challenge.  I've written before how badly I want to be out of bed early so I can greet my kids with cheer instead of sneer (ha) with hot breakfast and joy, joy, joy.  The problem is this: sleep is so very wonderful.  I would stay seventeen forever if it meant I could sleep my weekends away.  Waking up early is not even a little fun.  In fact, I often find it painful to leave my pillow.

Early rising is a challenge as I am so not a morning person.  I inherit this from my wonderful mother who is incapable of speaking a single word in the morning before her coffee and shower.  But she gets up anyway! And so can I .

I am willing to do this wholly non-Ruthann thing and try to make the most of early mornings.  Dustin and I are both hopeful that the early, kidless time (hopefully soon) will allow us opportunity to read, pray, and prepare.

Reading

The Bible, that is.  I am usually able to find a few minutes here and there to read a Psalm, or a familiar chapter or passage.  But to sit and meditate on the Word of God, allowing His truth to fill me over and over in new ways is what I truly desire.  In the early morning, sitting on the bench of our dining room table, I can soak it in, undisturbed.

Prayer

Intentional. Thought out.  Early morning prayer draws out deep rooted desires and thoughts.  I know prayer is important. Having the sacred time for just prayer is such an amazing gift, and I miss it sorely when I choose not to make that time.  Dustin and I are learning the blessing of praying together, before our days get away from us.  We had always chosen to pray before bed, but my pillow-love usually draws me into dreamland, winning the battle with intentional thought.

Preparation 

If I hop out of bed at 6:00 a.m., this gives me only 45 minutes before my son Tiger bounces his way into the day, dragging his sister (who is much like her mommy in the morning) behind him.  I want to dedicate most of this time to reading and prayer, but preparing for the day in just a few ways makes a significant difference in how my day plays out.  I try to fully prepare myself physically.  This means clothed, teeth brushed, face washed, make-up on, and hair. . . well, whatever.  (I don't usually shower in the mornings, this has helped me out a lot!)   Also, right before the kids are due to be out of bed, I grab my magnetic white board from the fridge and write out my to-do list for the day.  This is my go-to when I start spinning in circles wondering what to do next.

With hope of growing into a woman who can fully enjoy her mornings, I will get up.  Maybe I should ditch my pillow altogether?  

2 comments:

  1. OH Ruthann, I feel as if these words are taken straight from my own mind/heart. (And we don't even have KIDS YET!) I have often prayed to be a morning person....I need to keep praying. Thank you for this insight! I will also be praying for YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful reminder of the benefit of giving up what you want so you can have what you need. I love hearing how you are following Jesus well in this Ruthann and that your family gets to benefit so much. Thank you for sharing so honestly. Blessings on you & Dustin and your beautiful family!

    -Alison

    ReplyDelete