Thursday, September 22, 2011

Afternoon rescue: chocolate kefir


--Rafferty sporting his choco-goatee

Have you tried making milk kefir? It is easy, inexpensive, delicious, diverse, and full of wonderful probiotics! I have been making milk kefir for the past few months and am thrilled with the results. I use it in baking recipes as well as fruit and spinach smoothies. Kefir is similar to yogurt, only it has a thinner consistency and may taste a bit more sour. Delicious.

Today I hit the dreaded afternoon wall that can only be conquered with a nap, a cup o' joe, or my personal favorite: chocolate. I had a cold cup of kefir in the fridge and decided to try a twist on chocolate milk.

I mixed the cup of kefir, a tablespoon of dark chocolate cocoa powder, and honey to taste. A few pulses in the blender, and voila! Rich, tangy, and slightly sweet chocolate kefir! Rafferty loved the chocolatey treat too.

Sometimes it is the simple things that can really brighten up your afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment