Wednesday, July 27, 2011

This is Today.



Dustin hits snooze three times. I finally obey, not by my own good sense, but because Cosy is hungry, demanding food.

Sipping coffee, we sit on our comfortable living room furniture, watching the cotton candy clouds spread thin over the mountains. Last night’s rain had brought in a cool morning and we are cuddled with blankets and baby girl. She coos louder today than we have yet heard, and we each read our own Bible and study.


Rafferty is up with loud “Hey!” exclamation, so sweet. His “bear hug” onesie hugging his belly tight and he sucks his paci with all his might. Oh, that paci. He plays, we read and sipped coffee, then breakfast. Soaked porridge with blueberries from “Nourishing Traditions”, starting our day with nourishment to our bodies. I think we shouldn’t pray for breakfast to bless our bodies if we know it isn’t truly nourishing. We can pray in good conscience, here.


The bananas I bought yesterday have vanished. Not in the pantry, the car, the fridge... I bought two bunches all gone.

Dustin closes himself into his office to work, I place Cosy in the crib as Rafferty and I play and pick up in his room. We read from his picture Bible for twenty minutes, he holding my arms tight and sitting in my lap. I think he is hearing the Word of God.

We do his flash cards, body part vocabulary, and he signs for “more” after the first run-through.

A beautiful day to play on the porch, watch hummingbirds, skip morning naps (Rafferty is becoming a one-nap-a-dayer), and try our first brew of kombucha. It is sweet and fizzy and dances on our tongues and makes Rafferty snort and cough. He “mmmm’s” and sips on.


I take everything off our kitchen counters so they can be professionally measured for the new counters to be put in soon. Our friend installs our new dryer (hallelujah! ) as I occupy Rafferty to stay out of everyone’s way. He still finds a way to run up to the counter man and shout “hey!” over and over. The man ignores him completely, setting a very awkward scene for me, who’s child is oblivious to the fact that not every adult is fascinated by him. Cosy screams for the awake time too drawn out and I think wow, this is hard with two under two. I’d better write this down before I forget this moment.

Lunch is leftovers and spinach cooked with butter and salt (a happy new discovery for son) followed by a welcomed nap for Gifts 1 and 2.


I take this time to gather a bunch of wildflowers to grace our table. I stick a daisy in my ear, then remove it after the second bug dares to come too close. I see a prehistoric looking lizard and think to capture it as a pet for Rafferty. I toss a bowl over it then thinking what do I do with this creepy thing, now? I let it go free. It just sits there, staring at me with dinosaur glare.


Dinner is prepped with chicken legs marinating in lemon and garlic with olive oil. I read “L’Abri”, by Edith Schaffer, hopeful to glean wisdom for building community for our own semester program here in Pagosa. Baby girl awake, nurse, spit up, coo, nurse some more. Wash diapers, fold laundry, do dishes, think didn’t I just do the dishes?, write five more thankful moments on the counting list, even the cheerful print on the hanging dishtowel, and see blessing after blessing.


Just an ordinary day. But is any day ordinary when we are alive in Chirst and living with children miracles and feeling those feelings of “this is so so good”? I am tired and have many hours left . . . but I’ll gladly welcome each one.

1 comment:

  1. Ruthann, this is beautiful: your dedication to serve God in the simple and ordinary days is simply beautiful. Your "ordinary day" sounds like a dream, I'm so happy you get to experience it ALL!

    ReplyDelete