Wednesday, March 30, 2011

March Marks the Spot

March, 2011, marks the spot for activity, fellowship, and exhaustion. The month is all wrapped up and I am beyond tired. Maybe due to the fact that I am in my 35th week of pregnancy and chasing after a curious one year old. Also, this month brought both travel and a household of guests. I loved opening our door to our two visitors, my mother-in-law and best friend.
Karen (or Nona, as she is called by her grandkids) joined us at home after we all met up for a weekend trip in North Carolina. (I can't believe I live within driving distance to North Carolina! Crazy!) We had a blast watching my brother-in-law Trent play baseball for his college team, as well as catching up on some quality family time. While Karen visited, we took a day trip to New York City. It was so cool to see the sights again!

My best friend since I was 12, Maria, sacrificed her spring break to visit our crazy home and to help change diapers and organize closets. We have always had so much fun together, and this visit was no exception. Rafferty loved having her around, too!
My baby boy turned one year old this month. Surreal? You bet. We celebrated with a fun party of friends, dinner, and cake. I had a lot of fun being a birthday-party-mommy for the first time. I chose a color theme of red, yellow, and green for the decorating. Only after the streamers were hanging did I realize our apartment looked like a tribute to Jamaica . . . oh well. :) The cake proved to be my loftiest challenge as I am quite unexperienced in the whole cake arena, but I was pleased with the overall outcome of my first birthday cake.


Rafferty had his first taste of sugar and no surprise, loved it! Unsure of how to tackle the massive thing, he went for it face first after a few finger-fulls of frosting.

Dustin and I gave him his first piano as his gift. The little Mozart composes something new for our enjoyment every day. The party was a special time to celebrate my beautiful son's first year. Dustin and I are finding so much joy from being his parents. Rafferty is truly a delight.

Our second baby is stretching his (or her) limbs and taking up every bit of available space inside of me. I am often finding myself with a poor attitude, complaining about how uncomfortable I am. I can't breathe, I'm fat, I'm itchy, I'm tired, I'm fat, I can't sleep, I'm fat. You know, the common complaints. Just to shut up and give thanks for the gift of pregnancy is becoming difficult for me. I pray I can enjoy these last weeks and be quick to rejoice rather than have a disgruntled heart.

Disciplines, particularly my daily reading, has been the hardest thing to maintain throughout this action-packed month. I would love to write summaries of the two books I've completed, but to be honest, I've only partially completed both of them. I hate that I didn't reach my goal, but I will not beat myself up over it, as long as I keep going.

March marks the last month I knew I wouldn't be having a baby. Oh boy. (Or girl!) Time to turn on the "Rocky" soundtrack and get pumped!

3 comments:

  1. Ruthann! Thank you for sharing your adorable little (growing) family! SO fun to see you be a wife and mother, and woman of God! Thanks for your HONEST about your disgruntled heart. Can't imagine! BUT YOU LOOK FABULOUS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was absolutely blessed to have been able to spend some time (especially Rafferty's birthday) with you, Dustin and Rafferty. You are a delight and I can't wait to meet my next grandchild.

    Karen (or Nonna)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. You look STUNNING, seriously, so gorgeous and glowing!
    2. You DID have such a busy month, and I'm SOOOOO glad I got to be a part of it!!! You were amazing hosts and I loved every single minute of it.
    3. I cannot wait to meet baby! You're almost there--just keep enjoying this preparation time and get enough sleep!
    4. Rafferty is remarkably cute.

    ReplyDelete